Thursday 13 October 2011

Livin' Large in Langkawi


I like Langkawi.
I like it when my flights are all on time.
I like it when the in-flight movies are good.
I like it when there's a race official greeting me at arrivals.
I like complimentary airport-hotel transfers.
I like it when the race organisers call me at my hotel room to make sure everything went well.
I really like it when my bike arrives in one piece.

Fortunately all this happened for me! The Vertex is built up and went for it's first very brief spin around the area this morning but I want to change the tyres so avoid wearing out my 'race' tyres early, they've already got some serious signs of wear from the Beaconsfield 6hr whose rocks tore them up a bit. I've identified a nice little bike shop which has a compressor if I need one to seat the spare tyres I have.

There is advertising everywhere about the race and lots of people in town know about it. It's certainly all over the hotel we're staying at. They know how to make the racers feel important!

Yesterday I familiarised myself with Kuah, the town where the hotel is in and stocked up on water and chocolate and not much else! I did smash heaps of local food, some of it totally unrecognisable and almost all of t delicious. No upset stomach. Yet. And I may have given into the temptation of a 60cent imported Stella...or two..hey, it was cheaper then Carlton Draught here! (they had CD and Coopers Pale Ale!).

Today I will change my tyres and go for a decent ride and also hire a scooter to check out the further reaches of the island.

Some pics below:

My airport transfer. Ooh la la!



The Rocky Mountain made it! Now to build her up in the bike storage area.


The official race hotel, Bayview Hotel Langkawi


Had a yummy chicken and rice dish here...then went around the back where they did the dishes....



No comments:

Post a Comment