Thursday 20 October 2011

LIMBC Stage 2 - 4.7km/lap XCO




After my recce ride earlier in the week of this XCO course I knew today was going to be tough.

The 4.7km course which Elite Men had to ride 6 times was actually similar in some ways to riding at Mount Beauty in that it was a long climb followed by a long techy descent then repeat. In most other ways it couldn't have been more different.

The 160 or so blokes in the Elite Men category (notice how I didn't actually call us Elite Men!) started on a tarmac descent down which we hurtled at 45km/h only to get straight on the anchors and get our shifter fingers busy for a slimy, muddy, steep, rooty and rocky climb. I reckon this was walked by all but probably the first 10 riders to hit it. It was a shambolic mountain biker stampede. At one point I actually did lose my footing and go ass over!

Once we got a chance to get back on our bikes the climb had backed off from what felt like 45% to a more sedate 25% (possibly exaggerating) and I could keep some traction. We kept climbing for another couple of k's or so with one or two short descents for some minor relief. Once summited we dropped into the terraced rubber plantation downhill. More greasy terrain with a thick rubber tree canopy and sneaky slippery roots to catch you the second you dropped your guard.

If you made it down this descent alive you got shot onto a high pace fire road descent which, if you were brave enough, was a brakes-off roller coaster of speed. Then through a little more undulating rubber plantation and back onto the tarmac for the rise to the finish line to start all over again.

All in all, great fun. I loved the technical nature of the course and it certainly sorted some riders out. I was really disappointed with myself for not being able to ride the climb, I walked part of it every time. I could have easily made a couple of minutes by riding instead of walking here.

And those couple of minutes might have been all I needed to avoid being pulled on my last lap. I even pleaded with the UCI comissaire to let me go out for my last but of course he was having none of it. I really wanted to get all 6 laps in. Sure, I can say that the field was excellent and the course tough but the fact of the matter is that I just wasn't good enough.

The next stage which was originally a 6hr Enduro has been dramatically changed to another XCO which means I either have a chance at retribution.

Wish me luck.

Once again, Garmin data HERE

Results for yesterday are HERE
No GC results yet.


In our start pens, me and another Rocky Mountain rider (nice Vertex 90!)

The business end of the field on the start line. You'll notice Paul VDP and Lachy N up there.

Sweaty much? Mixed emotions immediately after being pulled from the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment